Nurses are crucial to fighting climate change and protecting the health of patients, communities, and future generations. There are several simple (but meaningful) actions that nurses can take to support climate-friendly environments at work, in communities, and in daily life. And, as you expand your range of actions, there are many other ways you can move your leadership forward for larger impact.
Nurses can move forward in addressing climate change by:
- Increasing awareness on how climate change impacts health
- Supporting climate-friendly practices in healthcare and academic institutions
- Reducing the pollution created by your homes, buildings, and transportation
- Advocating for health-protective climate and clean energy policy.
- Joining with others in calling for urgent action on climate change.
This toolkit provides an online repository of tools, resources, and more to support your climate leadership. Also included are ideas, resources, and evidence-based communication tools to engage your colleagues and other health professionals in climate and health solutions. Check out the climate champion section to learn best practices with tips and ideas from other nurses who have successfully implemented initiatives and engaged communities and practice settings in promoting sustainable environments.